Queen contestant application
The application deadline for the 66th Cherry Blossom Festival has been closed.
Applications for the 67th Cherry Blossom Festival will become available in January 2018!
The 66th Cherry Blossom Festival has increased the age limit. Contestants must be no older than 28 years of age as of April 1, 2018.
To be eligible as a 66th Queen Contestant Candidate, applicants must:
- Have at least 50% Japanese ancestry.
- Be a United States citizen and Hawaii resident.
- Be female by birth.
- Be at least 19 years of age as of September 1, 2017, and not older than 28 years of age as of April 1, 2018.
- Be a high school graduate.
- Has never been married and does not intend to marry before the end of the Cherry Blossom Festival.
- Has never given birth and does not intend to become pregnant before the end of the Cherry Blossom Festival.
- Be of good moral character.
- Has served in community service organizations, or has an interest in serving in community service organizations.
- Be able to provide own transportation to and from all Cherry Blossom Festival events, cultural classes and rehearsals.
- Cannot be a member of the Honolulu Japanese Junior Chamber of Commerce.
- Cannot be an immediate family member of and/or dating a Honolulu Japanese Junior Chamber of Commerce member.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Cherry Blossom Festival Contestant Experience
As a Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Contestant you will receive a variety of Contestant Awards such as cultural classes, professional development training and image management consultation. Contestant awards may include an appearance dress, an evening gown and the use of a furisode kimono for Festival Ball.
Cultural classes may include: ikebana (flower arranging), origami (paper folding), tea ceremony, odori (dance), koto (musical instrument), calligraphy (brush art), taiko (musical instrument) and Japanese history. These classes are taught by reputable and professional instructors.
Queen Contestants are provided communication and visual presentation training and instruction in the use of kimono, makeup application, etiquette, poise, stage presence and public speaking.